Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Chapter 4 - Integrating Technology and Creating Change

Focus Questions: How can teachers integrate technology into their work as educators?

  •  Teacher can incorporate computer and other information  technologies into three major parts of their professional work:
                 1) Using classroom insructures 
                 2) Outside-the-classroom activities
                 3) Inside-the-classroom learning activities

  • Computers and other new technologies can function in one of five possible formats for teachers:

                 1) Technology-based library
                 2) Technology-based workbook
                 3) Technology-based learning environments
                 4) Technology-based teaching tool
                 5) Technology-based office

 There are many ways that a teacher can incorporate technology into the classroom, no matter what subject they teach. After reading this chapter, I learned that some teachers are unwilling to change their lesson plan to integrate technology or sometimes they believe that there is no way to incorporate technology because of their subject. As a pro-technology person, I do believe that if teachers were to give technology a chance, they would realize how a students interest in the coursework will skyrocket. 

There are many outside-the-classroom activities that teachers themselves use technology to manage the administrative and professionals demand they face in schools. Some examples include using the internet browser to come up with new and exciting activities for the students or to manage their daily activities and keep track of their grade book. One of my favorite part was reading about inside-the-classroom activities. It seems to me that there are countless activities that could be incorporated into any lesson plan. There are research papers, projects, homework, etc. The possibilities to keep students up-to-date on technology are limitless.

Tech Tool Link:

After reading this middle school teachers blog (in the link above) I found her writing to be eye-opening. I feel that she has some brilliant ideas to keep her students constantly on the edge of their seats. I could imagine being a student in her classroom. She always has something unique and unpredictable to offer her students. All teachers should aspire to be as creative and motivated as she is with her students.

Summary & Conclusions:

Throughout this chapter, I was able to relate with the good and the bad. I could recall my time in school where I had teachers that would surpass my expectations in order to accommodate us and to keep us interested in the course. But I also had teachers that would never assess assignments that would allow us to use technology and keep a bland and boring routine. As a young students that was quite frustrating and I told myself that if I were ever to pursue a career in teaching I would always do my best to keep my students up-to-date and interested in my classroom, so here I am. The reason I am pursuing a teaching career is to try to make a difference in the lives of my students, no matter how small.

 Resources:

Maloy, R. W., Verock-O, R. E., Edwards, S. A., & Woolf, B. P. (2010). Transforming learning with new technologies. Allyn & Bacon. 
 

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading the middle school teacher's blog - she makes some great points about both the need for technology use and for more technology accessibility for the low socioeconomic student. There's no denying that it is in our future (already in the present!), but more importantly is how it can actually play a major role in actually transforming how we teach and learn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found her blogs to be very inspiring. She has a voice that should be heard and is also highly motivated and energetic with her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you marked it in your delicious account - a great way to keep track of all those wonderful 'finds'!

    ReplyDelete